Prospects Food Processing
Presently, a small percentage of farm produce are processed into value-added products. India needs US$ 28 billion in investment to raise food processing levels by 8-10%.
Rapid urbanization, increased literacy, changing life-styles, more women in work force and rising per capita income, have led to rapid growth and new opportunities in food and beverages sector.
Indians spend about 50% of household expenditure on food items. New Exim policy places greater thrust on Agro-based industries.
The followings are the areas for bilateral Co-operation (in investment, technology transfer, trade particularly international trade with India as base)
• Fruit and Vegetable Products 1)
• Fisheries & Seafood
• Wine, Beer & Alcoholic Beverages
• Food Processing Machinery / Packaging
• Total Quality / Management System
• Animal Products, Meat & Dairy
• Cereals, Consumer Foods / Ready to eat foods
• Cold Chain Infrastructure
• Food Parks
• Human Resource Development